Monday, November 25, 2013

8 Pounds

We've had a great week! We drove to Seattle last Monday. We made the trip in one day and Coop was a great traveler, but we felt horrible that he was stuck in that car seat for so long so we made a lot of stops to let him stretch, which made the trip extra long!

On Tuesday, the first appointment was a video swallow study. They had me feed Cooper a bottle of this white liquid that shows on an x-ray. It was really cool to see exactly how he swallows! When he first started, they said he takes too many sucks before swallowing, so the liquid was pooling in the back of his throat and close to going into his lungs, so he was "micro asperating." Luckily as he ate he got into a rhythm and no longer had that issue. They cleared him to continue oral feeding. We just have to pace him in the beginning. And by the way, that white liquid was still very bright when Cooper spit it up all over Jake's shirt later that day!

Then we met with the feeding therapist that we saw the last time we were in Seattle. She observed him breast feeding. I have been nursing a few times a day, but it seems like he is always still hungry after 30 minutes and everyone tells me to stop him at 30 minutes so he doesn't burn too many calories. I also have to pump afterward, so I know he's not getting as much out as he could be. Then he acts hungry again at just 1 hour instead of his usual 2 hours. The therapist gave me some tips on positioning to help him get better latch to be more productive. I'm trying to be consistent with it, but when he gets hungry it is just easier to grab a bottle. I keep reminding myself that once we get the breastfeeding down, I can quit pumping. It's going to be a hard transition, but it's going to be so worth it!

Cooper had his bronchoscopy early Wednesday morning. The doctor came in for a pre-op and was pleasantly surprised that he could not hear Cooper breathing. No wheezing or squeaking! Sure enough, when he came to tell us the results he said Cooper's airway looks very good. He did not feel the scarring needed to be cut, but he did do a small balloon dilation just because it was convenient. He does not think Cooper will need another bronchoscopy!

He said that Cooper was having some trouble breathing while coming out of the anesthesia, so they had him on oxygen and were going to keep him overnight. A few hours after the operation, he was admitted to a room and they almost immediately took him of the oxygen and he did fine. I stayed bedside that night and he was allowed to leave the next morning. We took two days to make the trip home and made it here Friday night.

This weekend Cooper has been acting a little off. He had a little bit of a cough, but that seems to have gone away. He also seems pretty clingy. We have always been able to put Cooper in his bouncer or swing and he will either fall asleep or entertain himself by looking up and the bees on the mobile. Now he watches me walk away and starts crying. Not an I'm hungry cry, not a mad cry, not a sleepy cry, but a "bottom lip sticking out" sad cry. I'm hoping he is just going through a phase.

We went to the pediatrician this morning to fill her in on all of the results in Seattle. She agreed that he is probably just a little clingy because he's getting over the upset in his schedule cause by the trip and that he may have had a slight cold as well. She said once he feels better and gets back into a schedule, he will probably go back to how he was before. When he was weighed this morning he was 8 lbs 0.5 oz! Woo hoo! She also commented that he is getting chunky legs!

Even though he's been a little out of sorts, he has really developed a personality. He smiles so much now. All I have to do is sing or talk in a silly voice and he gives a big dimpled smile! He's still doing great with tummy time and story time. It's great that he can actually focus on the pictures now. He has discovered his hands. He grabs at everything now, like his ears or his feet or our fingers or my hair! Sometimes he takes his pacifier,  but sometimes he gags on it or spits it out. I'm going that means it won't be too tough to wean him from it soon! Most of all, I think he loves it when Jake and I talk to him. The other day, Jake was making a train sound and told Cooper to say "woo woo" then Cooper did a quiet little "who." I know it was a fluke, but it was so cute!

My goal this week is to finish Cooper's birth announcement. I designed it back in September, but with him being readmitted for a few weeks in Sept/Oct, I've had to change the wording a bit, and now I'm just trying to get a decent photo of him to use on it.

Here is the photo of him while waiting for the operating last Wednesday. They had him in a tiny hospital gown... so cute!

1 comment: