Sunday, February 19, 2012

Burlap and Sharpie Pillow

Last week I redid my guest bedroom, and made a last minute burlap pillow. Here is my Guest Room Reveal.

This is the pillow! Made from a pillow form from Joann's, a scrap of burlap from the thrift store, and a brown sharpie. Here's how I made it.
 
First, cut two pieces of burlap large enough to extend about 2 inches on each side of the pillow form.

Print the phrase or picture in black ink on regular printer paper. Fold it to find the center.

Also find the center of the piece of burlap. Then match the centers and pin in place.

Flip over the fabric. You should be able to lightly see the image through the burlap.

Then start tracing the image with the sharpie. I printed a second copy so I could see the word clearly.

Place the finished traced burlap piece over the other burlap piece, lining up the edges.

Pin the edges all the way around.

Sew the edges all the way around with about a 1/4 inch allowance. I did the sewing right side out, knowing the the thread would show, but I wanted the raw edge to show.

Now center the pillow and pin as close as you can to the pillow form, all the way around. Then sew on the pin line.

This creates a nice thick border while keeping the pillow centered.

I like the look of the burlap pillow on the all white bed linens. I think I'll do a couple more burlap pillows...maybe one with polka dots and another with a bird silhouette. I'll post photos when I get them done.



1 comment: