Sunday, January 15, 2012

Fabric Covered Vintage Suitcases

I found this tutorial for a fabric covered suitcase, and knew that I wanted to try to make my own right away. I found a couple vintage suitcases at Goodwill for $1.95 each! I didn't follow that tutorial exactly, so here is my version:

Supplies needed:
- vintage suitcase (be sure it has a seam that overlaps so you can tuck the extra fabric in)
- enough fabric to cover both sides (this varies with how big the suitcase is, I think I used about 1/2 yard)
- fabric scissors
- spray adhesive
- butter knife

Directions: Place the fabric on the suitcase so it is centered and hangs over the edges at least 1/2 inch.

Fold back half of the fabric, making sure not to move the other half.

Spray adhesive directly on the suitcase.

Carefully roll back the fabric onto the adhesive. Smooth it down as you go.

Now fold back the opposite side and repeat.

Now the fabric is glued on, but not tucked yet.

Trim the edges so it hangs over just long enough to tuck in the overlapped seam, about 1/4 inch past the the overlap.

Working with one side at a time, spray adhesive on the curve.

Press down the fabric onto the adhesive.

Softly tuck the excess fabric into the overlap. Don't press too hard or you might pop the stitching.

Look how smooth it looks!

I think it turned out pretty cute! I think it would be nice to give as a gift. Who wants one?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my I love this! I'm going to need to take a trip to goodwill soon! =)

    They look amazing!

    Sending you sunshine,

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete